Tuesday 29 October 2013

A quiet place

I'm at this quiet place.

Very quiet that I can hear the sounds of insects outside.

I'm writing this just to while away the time in between reading my books.

Reached this place late in the afternoon yesterday.

Tired and tried to sleep, but was unable to do so.

Just laze around instead.

This place reminds me a lot of my favorite holiday destination, Bali. Of course its without the Hindu mysticism and the favorite food of Bali, which is babi golek.

I mostly go overseas for work though, not holidaying. I'm not actually rich.

Most of the time, I spend my holiday in the country.

Actually there are a lot of beautiful places in Malaysia which we Malaysians could enjoy and appreciate.

Here are my top 10 local holiday destinations, one of which is where I am now -

10. Malacca.
    - I like walking around Jonker Walk and the authentic Chinese "nyonya-baba peranakan" cuisine, which is among the best in my food list is only available in Malacca.


9. Air Papan Beach. Mersing, Johor.
    - The first beach I had been to when I was a kid. Some sweet memories at this beach.


8. Genting Highland, Pahang.
    - Well, actually it's the surrounding areas which I really like, such as Bukit Tinggi and Janda Baik.


7. Cameron Highlands, Pahang
   - Sometimes the weather is still cool. My favorite is the Lake House at Ringlet.


6. Sepat Beach, Kuantan, Pahang.
    - Long stretch of sandy beach with not too many people knowing about it. Perhaps the most peaceful beach in the country. Of course late in the afternoon, you need to watch out for buffaloes coming from the nearby villages. They can be quite scary.


5. Sekinchan, Selangor.
    - Made it into my list because a Chinese gangster threaten to kill me if I fail to promote his favorite town. Well, actually it's because of the seafood and that it was here that I found my favorite drink - air kedondong dengan asam boi.


4. Kluang, Johor.
   - My hometown, so I have to promote it la. No matter what it is. I choose the picture of that Kluang aunty because she reminds me of my grandma.


3. Padi fields of Kedah and Perlis
   - I'm always amazed at how beautiful the scenery at the padi fields no matter how many times I've been there.


2. Teluk Cempedak Beach, Kuantan.
   - Some of my happiest memories were at this beach.


1.  Rawa Island, off Mersing Johor
    - The most beautiful island in the world...at least in my eyes...


Penang and Langkawi are not in my list.

I don't really like Penang even before the DAP took over the island. It has always been too cramped and everything there was too Chinese driven. Now it is even worse. I was in Penang last year and every one seemed so tense. Not that many smiling faces. A bit like Hong Kong.

Langkawi is beautiful but I feel that it is over commercialized.

Also not in my list are beautiful places in Sabah and Sarawak. It's simply because I have not been there enough to know the places better. Maybe in the years to come I will try to go there more often and they may move up the ranking into my top 10 list.

Okay I'm continuing with my books. It's really a beautiful morning here.

30 comments:

  1. come to Sabah.. my state..
    it has the best of everything - from the mountain top to the deepest sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the invite. I have actually been to KK and Kudat, but only once and for work. I will try to go there again on holiday and find the beautiful places.

      Delete
  2. Annie,

    Might be a good time to think of what you can do to help Malaysians out of the racial and religious rut they are stuck in.

    Gladiator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried that very hard before GE13. What happened during the campaign and the results however made me very angry and frustrated. I need time to recover before I can do that again. Thanks for being fair.

      Delete
    2. I agree.
      Gladiator is quite fair in his/her opinion.
      Never see he/she used vile or abusive language.

      Delete
    3. ya unlike RD, day in day out menabur fitnah dan berbohong di dalam blog Annie.

      Delete
    4. Annie,

      Don't get too carried away with what a nice guy I am.

      I have my human failings just like anybody else.

      Anyway, you are on a rest break so you should just do whatever you like doing on your rest break.

      I'll probably go read some of the other pro-UMNO blogs for the rest of the week :)

      Gladiator

      Delete
  3. Annie,

    Enjoy yourself with the peace and tranquility of your current place.

    Your no 1. place looks good but you must also try Terengganu. Lovely beaches along the northern part (after Kuala Terengganu) near Merang (not Marang - PAS stronghold) stretching up to Besut. No need to go to the islands, those quite Terengganu beaches are good enough and in the evenings, watch the fisherman boats coming home. Even monsoon time is good (provided no flooding).

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually live by a beach in Terengganu for several years previously. Yes, the beaches there are beautiful, but I need to be very careful with what I wear there so not to offend the locals.

      Delete
    2. What shouldnt you wear Annie?

      Delete
    3. Oh Trengganu the land of the famous waliullah Tokku Paloh who left this counsel: PESANAN TOKKU PALOH : MAKA TINGGALKANLAH DUNIAMU DAN BELAYARLAH MENUJU TUHANMU. JANGANLAH SEKALI-KALI ENGKAU MELABUHKAN SAUH KETIDAKPASTIAN ITU BIARLAH APA KATA MEREKA PADA DIRIMU. BERHIJRAHLAH, BELAYARLAH MENUJU TUHANMU KERANA KAULAH MELAYU

      Delete
  4. pasal apa muo tak de pulak.

    1. ada mee bandong.
    2. ada rojak petis.
    3. ada apam kacang merah.
    4. ada tanjong emas.
    5. ada sekolah tinggi muar

    saya asal muo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muar bandar diraja. Eerrr....ok, that's all I want to say.

      Delete
    2. ada naga bawah jambatan.

      Delete
  5. Ah Cik Annie ....... kalau sampai Melaka atau Gunung Ledang jangan lupa berDondang Sayang ya? Ajak-lah saudara-saudara Cina kite sehati berlagu ya!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BTWdOp7Dnfg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asal Kelate and Ganu tadok Annie? Mu ni Annie.. Dok baik wat gitu..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I feel the Teluk Cempedak beach fanning my imagination. When your lungs get stronger girl you wanna try some challenging sports?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Bfu0jZ_vOtg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you're diving then get real with fish

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL0D00445DFE98BE89&feature=player_detailpage&v=8HFzd2kZ4kg

      Delete
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BteIwbKU_iQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyve_egY8o

    rest and relax

    ReplyDelete
  9. If your budget allows you, try flying down to Mulu National Park & stay at the Royal Mulu Resort. Tranquility, nature & luxury at a somewhat affordable price. Plus return transfer to the airstrip + guide fees, park fees, boat ride to visit 4 show caves. Will cost you approx 600-700. The downside would be the airfare from KL-Miri-Mulu which would set you back by around 600 return. If you do decide to go, tell the front office staff that you want a room overlooking the river. The sound of the water rushing by lulls you to sleep.

    Anyways, have an enjoyable & restful break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. RE: Okay I'm continuing with my books. It's really a beautiful morning here ...

    Subhanallahi wa bi Hamdihi, adada khalqihi, wa reda nafsihi, wa midada kalimatihi, wa zinatan arshihi Subhanallahi Al-Azim wa bi Hamdih
    Allahu Akbar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juwairiyah bint Al-Harith (May Allah be pleased with her) reported, the Mother of the Believers: The Prophet (PBUH) came out from my apartment in the morning as I was busy in performing the dawn prayer. He came back in the forenoon and found me sitting there. The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Are you still in the same position as I left you.'' I replied in the affirmative. Thereupon the Prophet said, "I recited four words three times after I had left you. If these are to be weighed against all you have recited since morning, these will be heavier. These are: Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi, `adada khalqihi, wa rida nafsihi, wa zinatah `arshihi, wa midada kalimatihi [Allah is free from imperfection and I begin with His praise, as many times as the number of His creatures, in accordance with His Good Pleasure, equal to the weight of His Throne and equal to the ink that may be used in recording the words (for His Praise)].''[Sahih Muslim].

      http://www.hadithgarden.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

      Delete
  11. I think its wrong to mention "Babi Golek" in this posting. Pls apologise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh apek,
      Why are you insulted by your favorite food?

      Delete
    2. nak mintak maaf kenapa plak?...betul apa..tu kan fakta bukan auta..makanan paling popular dan makanan tradisi suku bali adalah babi guling atau babi golek.

      Delete
  12. It was only the last time that I went to Penang that I did not get food poisoning. Every time people rave about how great food is in Penang, my stomach clenches.

    Have a good rest, Annie!

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you're now enjoying No. 6!

    Hantu Gigi Jarang

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh Teluk Chempedak and Tanjung Sepat. I'm study at Polisas once open a time and always enjoying my weekend at this beach. Now the nearest beach I can go to is PD. PD is better now but getting congested every weekend or school holiday.

    :Dsarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah.., so we are the Polisas alumni ;). Teluk Chempedak brings only sad memories to me.. :(

      Delete
  15. Dear Annie,

    i am Johnny. We are interested for ur image. (2) Teluk Cempedak Beach, Kuantan.

    we are helping our client working calendar for every months. Are you interested to sell your image? before the confirmation i need to get my client approval.

    Please do let me know for further discussion.
    My e-mail johnnychai@hnhoyle.com.my

    ReplyDelete