Thursday 24 December 2015

Christmas and what it's all about

It's Christmas eve.

Everyone I know seem to be celebrating it, including the non-Christians among them.

To learn more about Christmas, please click on this link,

Christmas 


Relax, it's just a link to Wikipedia.

Not some anti-Christian stuff or anything like that.

I just believe that we should try to learn more about something that we see or experienced.

Reading is a good way to do that.

I don't celebrate Christmas despite some friends insisting that I can actually enjoy a "secular Christmas".

But I'm okay with the celebrations even if the celebrants are non-Christians.

It's for fun, okay.

People should be free to do that.

Despite not celebrating it, I wish my Christian friends a "Merry Christmas", and when my ex wished me that two days ago, I wished him back the same.

He's not a Christian but he is celebrating the occasion in Singapore with his family.

It's the usual end year get together occasion for them.

They are actually Taoists....officially.

His new girlfriend whom I also believe is not a Christian will also be there.

When I used to be his GF, I refused to join him in celebrating the occasion because I was taught that being a Muslim, I'm not supposed to do so.

Maybe I was wrong.

Maybe if I was more flexible he would not chose to be with someone else.

Sometimes I wish I was more flexible.

But it's okay. What was done, is done.

Anyway, there are many ways people celebrate Christmas.

Again I'm giving you all a link to Wikipedia,

Christmas traditions

My favourite is this one,

Encouraged by commerce, the secular celebration of Christmas is popular in Japan, though Christmas is not a national holiday. Gifts are sometimes exchanged.[17]Christmas parties are held around Christmas Day; Japanese Christmas cake, a white sponge cake covered with cream and decorated with strawberries, is often consumed and Stollen cake, either imported or made locally, is widely available. Christmas lights decorate cities, and Christmas trees adorn living areas and malls.[17] Christmas Eve has become a holiday for couples to spend time together[17] and exchange gifts. A successful advertising campaign in the 1970s made eating at KFC around Christmas a national custom. Its chicken meals are so popular during the season that stores take reservations months in advance.[18]
The first recorded Christmas in Japan was a Mass held by Jesuit Missionaries in Yamaguchi Prefecture in 1552. Some believe that unrecorded celebrations were held before this date, starting in 1549 when Saint Francis Xavier arrived in Japan. Christianity was banned throughout Japan in 1612. However, a small enclave of Kakure Kirishitan ("hidden Christians") continued to practice underground over the next 250 years.
Christianity in Japan along with Christmas reemerged in the Meiji period. Influenced by America, Christmas parties were held and presents were exchanged. The practice slowly spread, but its proximity to the New Year's celebrations makes it a smaller focus of attention. During World War II, all celebrations, especially American, were suppressed. From the 1960s, with an expanding economy, and influenced by American TV, Christmas became popular. Many songs and TV series present Christmas as romantic, for example "Last Christmas" by Exile. The birthday of the current emperor, Akihito, on December 23 is a national holiday. Businesses soon close for the New Year's holidays, reopening after January 3.

Yup, eating KFC during Christmas is a national custom in Japan.


Our KFC people should take note.

Maybe they can start the same tradition here.

I always like the original recipe  KFC.

Well, that's about it.

I'm going to have a rest tommorow.

To all Christian readers of this blog,

Merry Christmas.

9 comments:

  1. The Canticle of Brother Sun (St, Francis of Assisi)

    Most High, all powerful, good Lord,
    Yours are the praises, the glory, the honor,
    and all blessing.

    To You alone, Most High, do they belong,
    and no man is worthy to mention Your name.

    Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures,
    especially through my lord Brother Sun,
    who brings the day; and you give light through him.
    And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor!
    Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.

    Praise be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon
    and the stars, in heaven you formed them
    clear and precious and beautiful.

    Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Wind,
    and through the air, cloudy and serene,
    and every kind of weather through which
    You give sustenance to Your creatures.

    Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Water,
    which is very useful and humble and precious and chaste.

    Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
    through whom you light the night and he is beautiful
    and playful and robust and strong.

    Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Mother Earth,
    who sustains us and governs us and who produces
    varied fruits with colored flowers and herbs.

    Praised be You, my Lord,
    through those who give pardon for Your love,
    and bear infirmity and tribulation.

    Blessed are those who endure in peace
    for by You, Most High, they shall be crowned.

    Praised be You, my Lord,
    through our Sister Bodily Death,
    from whom no living man can escape.

    Woe to those who die in mortal sin.
    Blessed are those whom death will
    find in Your most holy will,
    for the second death shall do them no harm.

    Praise and bless my Lord,
    and give Him thanks
    and serve Him with great humility.

    AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop pinning for your ex. He found someone better. Could it be that you are one fat ugly bitch? He did not want a Hotel California situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wouldn't had been with me for so many years if I'm one fat ugly bitch. Okay lah, as you said, he found someone better. I accept that.

      Delete
    2. It's ok Annie even if you're fat I will marry you. The problem is will you want to marry a down and out guy like me...lol..Notice I did not repeat 2 words that don't exist in my vocab.

      Delete
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a45z_HG3WU

      Delete
  3. Annie already got someone new in her life .
    If she is still hurting she wouldnt even mention him...correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how to celebrate kissmas with kfc when knowing a dog is very much opposed. dogs are people's best friend. guide, rescuse. guard, play etc

    ReplyDelete