However, that does not mean that I support everything that the administration is doing right now.
I have been trying to hold back my criticisms as I don't want Muhyiddin and his people to get distracted from their main priority that is to contain the pandemic, which they are doing quite well so far.
But today, I have to write this one criticism of the current government which I feel necessary because if the problem is left unchecked, it will cost the country dearly.
It's about the increasing number of appointments of politicians aligned to the current government into the GLCs.
This is actually the one issue which I don't have a proper reply to when brought up by Pakatan people.
I'm honestly not sure what is Muhyiddin's actual motive for allowing such appointments.
To appoint politicians to GLCs is one thing but to appoint unqualified and proven failed politicians to important posts in GLCs is simply bad and there's no excuse for it.
Still, I have ignored this issue till now as I wanted the focus to be on the Covid-19 war.
I have to admit though that I cringed upon reading news of those appointments....such as Khaled Nordin as Boustead chairman and Tajuddin Rahman as Perasarana chairman.
"Tak ada orang lain ke?" I asked in my heart.
Then came this story at The Edge;
|Please click on image to read
The story is that TS Abdul Ghani Othman is to be replaced at Sime Darby Plantation by Pribumi Bersatu disciplinary board chief Tan Sri Megat Najmuddin Megat Khas.
Regular readers of this blog should know that I'm very fond of Ghani since my days in Johor till even after he had retired from politics in 2013.
The guy is one of the few confirmed good men that I know.
I was saddened that they are removing him from Sime Darby but decided not to make noise about it as maybe Muhyiddin has his good reasons to let his former Muar High School classmate being replaced like that.
I was also told by someone close to Ghani that he doesn't mind being removed from the post as he has been helming the company for almost eight years.
Ghani has been doing well in his post, so much so, that he was the only BN political appointee and an Umno personality at GLCs who was not removed by the Pakatan government after GE14.
As far as I know, being a non-executive chairman at Sime Darby, Ghani has never interfered with the actual running of the company and instead acted more as an advisor to the professional executives.
He is not at all like those usual political appointees who screwed up things for the professionals who are supposed to run the GLCs.
For the record, Sime Darby Plantation is doing relatively well, considering the circumstances.
This is the last story I read about the company,
That was among the just few good local business news since Covid-19 hit our country.
Then this morning I received a call from a close friend who knows what is happening in Sime Darby.
I asked about the removal of the former Johor MB from Sime Darby and it turned out that he knows quite a bit about it.
According to him, this was how it happened;
- On May 15, just before a Sime Darby Plantation board meeting, Ghani received a letter signed by PNB chief executive Jalil Rasheed informing him that Megat Najmuddin has been appointed as Sime Darby Plantation chairman with immediate effect from the date of the letter.
- Ghani was required to inform the board about the appointment. The letter however did not mention anything about Ghani's removal from the post. Ghani's contract as Sime Darby chairman was supposed to expire in June next year.
- Ghani had then dutifully informed the board about the content of the letter.
- The board members were however very unhappy about it and protested, saying that was not how a chairman of the company was supposed to be replaced. They said Sime Darby Plantation is a public listed company and that the way the irregular appointment was made will have a negative impact on the company as a whole.
- The board members were also most upset because Sime Darby Plantation was supposed to hold its AGM next month and preparations for it was at its final stage. To replace Ghani with Megat now will upset the whole process.
- The Sime Darby Plantation board members had then sent a letter to PNB chairman Zeti Akhtar Aziz to voice their unhappiness over the matter but so far have not receive any reply.
Well, that's the story so far.
I'm not writing this in an attempt to persuade Muhyiddin to keep Ghani as Sime Darby Plantation chairman.
I'm more into letting him know that people are watching and if these sort of nonsense continues, it will affect the people's perception of his administration.
If Ghani, or any of the other GLC heads really need to be replaced, then at least do so properly.
And please don't put useless politicians as their replacements.
I hope, some how, Muhyiddin will get this message and he will do something about it.
My request to him is that, please do things properly and don't squander the people's support given for the Covid-19 war just to satisfy the greed of some quarters for political expediency.