On Ong Kian Ming's possible move to Kepong
and concluded in this note to me that;
1. DAP should proclaim itself as a Chinese based party and indeed the party representing a vast majority of Chinese
2. It must behave as a big, prominent party and discard the clique-ish image, also a party deemed anti Malays.
3. Tan Seng Giaw is the sort of personality DAP should promote not discard. He is seen as moderate and sensible.
4. Ong Kian Ming, on the contrary, is Kit Siang's protege. Promoting him to the No 1 DAP seat in the country - Kepong, at the expense of Seng Giaw, will deepen its image as a party significantly more radical than MCA.
My friend also asked;
1. Is Kit Siang prepared to loosen his grip on the DAP?.
2. Is there a sort of succession plan? Son to be the sole strongman? What is the image of DAP in 2020 and beyond?
Well, as for asking DAP to proclaim itself as a Chinese-based party instead of its current claim of being multi-racial, it's as good as asking Nur Sajat to proclaim that she/he is a man.
Everyone knows what Nur Sajat is, but since the person claimed to be a lady, there's nothing that can really be done about it, okay. Terima saja lah seadanya.
On the matter of DAP discarding its clique-ish and anti-Malay image, I think these are equally difficult to achieve.
Being clique-ish is actually part and parcel of a political party like DAP. That's why people like Ong Kian Ming, who is part of the Guan Eng's team can move to "better constituency" where the risk of losing or reduced majority is lesser.
Being seen as anti-Malay is also actually not the biggest of DAP's concerns. It has always only contested in non-Malay majority constituencies. So, people want to say DAP is anti-Malay doesn't really matter to them. In fact, they had benefited from it as more Chinese, who are angry with the supposedly Malay establishment will vote for them.
Tan Seng Giaw? Ya, he's one of the better DAP leaders and MPs. But the guy is old. And he is no Lim Kit Siang, okay.
If Ong Kian Ming wants his seat, I think DAP will give it to him. Kepong is a DAP stronghold anyway, so, the party wouldn't see any problem with that. They probably want to save Ong Kian Ming's ass too in case it's true that Serdang will have more Malay voters this time due to the delineation of the electoral boundaries.
And my friend is right about Ong Kian Ming being a Kit Siang's protege. That makes him more important than Tan Seng Giaw.
So what if people see DAP being more radical than MCA in term of being a Chinese party. As I wrote above, that's better for DAP in securing the Chinese-majority seats.
Kit Siang loosen his grip on DAP? Cannot be. It's business as usual for the old man. He seems still all very powerful along with his son Guan Eng. I think he will continue the way he is for a few more general elections. If Dr Mahathir can, Kit Siang also can. No problem one.
As for DAP's succession plan, I think that's very clear. Now Lim Kit Siang, after that Lim Guan Eng, after that Lim....something....and that will go on indefinitely.
Image of DAP after 2020? It's going to be the same la. They tried to be less Chinese but not very successful what. For instance, their attempt to include more Malays turned up like this,
Zairil's third time
So, that's that.
Oh, here's a bit more of Sajat,